Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Playing with a cabinet in Blue and White

I love the pop of blue on the inside of this white cabinet. We've been working on freshening a few things in our kitchen. Inexpensive changes that help tie our rooms together. The tan, cream, blue and white are repeated in other rooms too.
We purchased this cabinet from a local unfinished furniture shop. I originally stained the pine but a couple of years ago decided to give it several coats of my 'go to' white, Benjamin Moore Cloud White. The inside is painted in a BenMoore mis-tint, a pretty blue. I showed this cabinet before, here. Recently,  I took the basket off the bottom shelf after some advice from my readers that the basket was drawing too much attention.
                                                                          BEFORE
The walls are Benjamin Moore Stonehouse. The curtains on the patio door are drop cloths. I can see this corner of our kitchen from our computer chair in the family room. It makes me smile.
The patterns are Cream Lace and Cottage Rose, both by Skye McGhie. I added a few beehive pieces for filler. I think I need to find some more things that will give the displays some height. Any ideas?
 
I will add more photos of the kitchen as we finish more projects.
The weather in southern Ontario today is lovely. Lots of sunshine and warmer this afternoon. I hope you enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by.

Thanks to Beth from The Stories of A to Z for inviting me to her Ready Set Vignette party.
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Mel said...

Very pretty. I love the blue inside your cabinet as well as the creamy ceramics.

Rural Revival said...

I love this cabinet Elizabeth! I have a pine cabinet that I'd like to paint, this is great inspiration, thanks!

~Andrea~

Grace said...

I love your cabinet (something must be in the water as that is what Chris at Just Beachy did as well). I'm contemplating doing the same thing to one of my upper cabinets in the kitchen (see my post tomorrow). The colours you have and the dishes are so pleasing to the eye - I love them.

As for adding height, the only things I could recommend would be to look out for platters at the thrift store to stand against the back wall as they would go up higher than plates and small bowls. Or you could get another cake plate - they always look great (you can even make your own by gluing a plate to a glass) and you can stack a cake plate on another cake plate for some serious height. You could possibly even hang a plate on the back wall of the cabinet if you wanted to use what you already had. The only other thing I can think of is to use a stack of books (possibly covered in paper so they are the right colours), or even a small cleaned-up round of birch log which you could put a bowl on top. Just some ideas, but I already love what you have done so far.

Deanna said...

Hi!
Really like this and think it's wonderful.
God bless,
d

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

This is simply beautiful! I love the combination of blues and that honey jar is precious. Come link up to my Ready, Set Vignette Party!

Mandi @ Finding Home said...

Hello pretty blue! I love the beautiful shade in the back of the cabinet. What a pretty pop! My mother-n-law is always getting mistints from Benjamin Moore. I need to stop in there more I think. :)

Wendy said...

So pretty! I love how you added the pop of blue to the inside!
Wendy

this blessed nest said...

that cabinet is so dreamy!
love all your beautiful dishes with the blue color popping out.

beautiful.
kellie

Embellished Bayou said...

Love your blue & white dishes, the cabinet looks lovely!

Marianne@Songbird said...

I love the two colored cabinet! I am thinking of doing something similar to our big hutch.
As for adding height, a stack of dishes can serve as additional height too.
(and your readers are smart, it looks much better without the basket).

Sandra said...

Very pretty cabinet...love all the colors together.

Blondie's Journal said...

I love how you have painted the inside of the cabinet such a pretty blue. It gives depth. Thanks for giving the colors, I like the BM White Cloud. I am painting up a storm here.

If you need height in the cabinet, you may want to place some of your items on books...maybe cookbooks?

Nicely done! Enjoy your pleasant weather. And I hope to be in the part next week! :-)

xoxo
Janie

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the blue on the inside of your cabinet! Maybe you could use a couple of pillar candle holders to hold something {not necessarily a pillar candle} but to lift a little something up and bring some height in.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Always happy to find a fellow Canadian. What a lovely little vignette. Blue is my favorite color yet I only have it in my bedroom! I love the cabinet too.

Red Door Home said...

So pretty! The blue back of the cabinet really highlights the dishes. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment - I hope you will come back for a second visit!

Carmie, the Single Nester said...

I love the redo! Every Tuesday, I host a Turquoise Tuesday Linky Party. You may want to include this post or others.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...