Friday, July 15, 2011

Where Bloggers Create 2011 ~My Studio updated

So it wasn't a great idea to decide to tear apart my studio the week I planned to link up with Where Bloggers Create 2011.

A warm welcome to my blog friends and those stopping by for the first time from My Desert Cottages' Where Bloggers Create 2011. A warning though, this is a long post with lots of pictures (Karen said lots of pictures.)

  
My studio is our 4th and smallest upstairs bedroom at only 9' x 10' but it is a nice bright space. Before the cabinets came out it was organized, but the upper cupboards were hard to reach and the lower drawers were too cramped with the large work table. I shared a few photos and inspiration in this post.
DURING WITH CABINETS OUT:

My husband and oldest son took down the cupboards and I thought it would be a quick patch and touch up paint job. Wrong! No matching paint left and I used a mistint originally. Only 3 small areas to patch and paint and I ended up having to repaint the whole room, only a year and a half after the last time.
 DURING WITH UPPER AND LOWER CABINETS OUT:

Emptying out the cupboards and drawers meant piles of stuff everywhere!

AND NOW FOR THE PROGRESS:
It was faster to just use the extra can of BM Snowfall White from our living room. One can was enough for two coats on 2/3 of the room (will be finished soon.) I liked the beige, but I'm really happy with the fresh white. Adding some interest to the walls with art should help.

My supplies are as plentiful as my hobbies (quilting, cross-stitch, crochet, knitting, painting signs, card making, scrapbooking, crafting Christmas ornaments, sewing for our home and mending clothes for my extended family) so I need lots of storage space. The closet holds a wire drawer organizer with the larger cuts of home dec fabric.

Our old dining room farmhouse table is large enough to spread projects out, but too large to have in the centre of the room (which would make more sides accessible.) Most of my supplies are in baskets and containers to easily carry to the table. The ruffled skirt chair is a hand me down from my brother that I recovered in black denim here.


This pie cabinet holds cross stitch supplies in the bottom and quilting supplies on the open shelves. I don't have a huge quilting fabric stash but I enjoy seeing it.

Our boys are 12 and 14 now but I love using and displaying their school-crafted Christmas and Mother's and Father's Day gifts.

Old canning jars with zinc lids, simple galvanized buckets, wicker baskets and wooden cubbys make great storage containers and add the rustic farmhouse feel that I love. 

I added light kits to three Crown canning jars for evening crafting (two are not shown in these photos.)


Grouping like items makes it easier to find things and sometimes it looks prettier too!

Storage doesn't have to cost a lot either, these wood cubbies were $1 each at a yard sale.

Keeping my tools grouped together and close at hand inspires me to be creative. I get more done when I am surrounded by things I love.

An old tool box keeps all my threads, scissors and rotary mats/rulers handy.

Textures make me happy! I love the chippy grey paint on the cubby too. I'm hoping to add even more texture with some fabrics and art.

 This corner of the room near the window has space for a bookcase or tall cabinet for more storage.

I have a collection of Amish prints by Nancy Noel and my own stitched pieces that I may hang to add interest. Not very trendy, but certainly what I enjoy seeing.
Above the window is the point where the two coats of white ended. The topper was inspired by The Nester and is just strips of fabric and crocheted trims in creams and whites.

On the opposite wall between the closet and the window, I have a temporary storage shelf. This holds all my scrapbook, card making and Church catechism marking supplies. On the very top are baskets for quilt tops waiting to be finished. From the window around to the closet is the wall that still needs painted. I'll need help to move this big shelf out one day soon.

Scrapbooking stickers are stored in the not so attractive but functional drawers. Cardstock, glues, blank cards and boxes of photo corners/scrapbook adhesives are in baskets that can be brought to the table.


Again, no fancy storage system for the cardstock, but easily accessible until I find a better solution. When my nieces C and H come over tomorrow, they will most likely organize by ROYGBIV. They are a bit OCD, like me.

I had about 25 of these IKEA bins with the wall racks from our kitchen at one time, but sold most of them a few years ago. My sister had some extras when I decided to use them to store Fiskars paper scissors.

A few punches, some scrapbook/card decorations and markers in a son-made mug, all corraled on a tray.

For now my wrap essentials are in a 4-drawer organizer. Gift bags...

tissue paper...

and bows and extra ribbons.

Another organizer stores stamps for cardmaking. My studio feels fresher and more organized but there is still lots to be done. My goals are to finish the painting, find more tall storage, and soften things up a bit.
I shared a few before photos with the cabinets and some inspiration photos in this post. Thanks so much for visiting and I hope you leave a comment to let me know you were here. Thanks to Karen for all the time organizing the party! I'm going to be busy seeing the other links and looking for even more inspiration.

  

I'm also linking up with:

The Shabby Nest's Frugal Friday 'cause everything in my hobby room makeover so far was just repurposed.
French Country Cottage's Feathered Nest Friday 'cause I'm feeling much more creative in my freshened space.
Funky Junk Interiors SNS 'cause I hate missing Donna's party!

69 comments:

Annesphamily said...

I love the space!I love how you incorporated all those wonderful childhood crafts and added them to your space. This is so delightful. Have a terrific weekend. Anne

Jennifer said...

Love! I'm in the middle of creating my craft room and am hosting alinky party for inspiration. I'd love for you to link up! I will feature any ideas I borrow!
Jen
http://www.scissorsandspatulas.com/2011/07/onto-next-room-link-party.html

Pamela Gordon said...

You sure made great use of the space in your hobby room! It's amazing and so colourful. I love the cubbies on the large dining table. Very Nice!!

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Love the tool caddy with all of your sewing essentials, great idea!! What a great spot to sew, a very nice & bright workspace.

A room of your own...so inspirational!
Have fun in there!!

All the Best,
Christine

earthypawscreatures said...

Everything is so organized! Such a wonderful studio that you have created :) I LOVE that pie cabinet, and the little wooden shelves :D Thank you for sharing!

~Alli

The Old White Barn said...

As soon as I realized your were also a farmhouse style girl I couldn't hit the 'follow' button quick enough! Love your space and your style.

So glad I found you - thanks for sharing!

Susan

gina3 said...

The organization is great! I absolutely adore those cubbies holding the paints. LOVE those!!!!

Leanne said...

I really love those cubbies too!

jgrimsley said...

Wow! Would you come and help me organize my room???

adventuresindinner said...

This is fantastic! My stuff is all over the place right now (reno)-hopefully this will all be done soon.

Nook & Cranny said...

I love the wooden storage units with your paints. I also love the cabinet without the door, this inspires me.
Thanks for sharing your space.
Michele

marie said...

Totally love your space!
Your photos are awesome and your work table with the cubbies ~ amazing! Love it!
Everything is so wonderfully organized. This is such a great creative space ~ oh yes, I adore the window topper SO MUCH!

Ruth Rae said...

Brilliant idea for paint and pen storage!

Karen Valentine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Valentine said...

Elizabeth your studio Is wonderful!! I adore those huge spools on the top of your bookcase, and pie safe is fab!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Have a great weekend and enjoy the party!
xo,
Karen

bertie said...

Great storage ideas and I am loving those cubicle boxes that hold your paints! Great studio...thanks for sharing and i hope to see you over at my studio. be blessed...bertie
www.queenbartistry.blogspot.com

Pretty Things said...

I love how you stored the spray paint cans -- for a moment I thought those were huge chalk sticks and I wanted to come play! And I love the hanging buckets.


I hope you'll have time to visit my creative spaces!

stephanie said...

I am so enjoying visiting all the wonderfully creative spaces like yours! Just inspiring...

And, I adore those wood cubbies on your desk...such a great way to store your paints so you can see exactly what colors you have on hand...

Rebecca said...

Elizabeth...I'm so glad I stopped in to see your amazing space. I'm only down to the B's and I'm already starstruck. I love your wooden cubbies and enjoy using a vintage one in my home. Aren't they great?

Love to you and happy creating~

Rebecca

Cheryl De Beer said...

Wow what a lovely organized space, love the cubbies!

Claudia said...

I cannot resist cubbies of any kind. Or cabinets with lots of drawers. Your space is wonderful and really organized. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kristal said...

This is my firsts time to participate in 'Feathered Nest Friday' and I am slowly making my way around.

Your room is such a wonderfully inspiring space!! It seems to have a lot of sunshine, which for me, always gets me in the creative mood. We have recently moved into a new rental house and although we have limited resources, I hope to be able to get a creative space set up in the spare bedroom. Your post has been me lots of ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. I will be back to take a look around your blog, it looks beautiful!!

Dayle said...

I love your cubby holes. Great ideas here.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Oh, I enjoyed seeing your space so much! Wonderful ideas for storage and very inspiring! Thanks for sharing it. Have a nice weekend! Twyla

Susanne said...

Love the paint and glitter in the cubbies, so colorful! I recently picked up a cubbie piece I was thinking about using for office type stuff, might have to reconsider. You're pretty organized and have some really cute displays for being torn apart a week ago!
Susanne.

Emily said...

Looks great. I would love to find cubbies like that for only $1! I've been organizing my massive fabric supplies.
Emily
domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

Sezoentje said...

Love all the beautiful storage-idees, thank you for this wonderful tour of your inspiring craftroom,
love from Belgium,
Sonja

kluless said...

ANY re-organizing in my art room always seems to turn in to a bigger project than i imagined. Things just never seem to fit back into the space they came out of! I love your window valance. Thank you for sharing!

wickedfaerie said...

Hello Ontario!

Thanks for visiting my blog it is nice to meet fellow Canadians. I like your studio space too. I love the cubbies. You have so much you must be very creative.

Sue

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

What a beautiful space to create! I don't want my kids to hurry up and move out--but sometimes I do dream a little about a dedicated craft room. Love the way you've organized your paints!

Kit said...

Your space is wonderful! I just love it! And thank you for visiting my blog. Kit

Lori said...

I just love that pie cabinet--gorgeous! I also love the cubbies on the table. Wouldn't I love to have that for my room. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful space!

Tammy said...

I love your storage closet and those wood boxes holding your supplies. Such a neat room--love it!!! Thanks for sharing. I am your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime soon!

Something Special said...

Oh I love your very wonderful ecclectic studio. Way to make it look like it is right out of a magazine, and thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my studio as well.

Pamela said...

What a wonderful space to create in!

Erin Downs said...

I found you blog on Shaby Nest! I love those cubbies they have so many possibilities! Awesome job on the room!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow, how organized are you! Loving how you store your craft paints especially. Great idea!

Donna

Creative Grammie said...

You have a great space to create in! Your storage ideas are such smart ideas.
Thanks for the tour, I've enjoyed myself.

Sara said...

love the pots you have hanging with your scissors in. Thats a fab idea. Hugs Sara

Terri said...

What a wonderful post to show us your art room....Somebody has great organizational skills...what a terrific creative space. Neat treatment over the wood blind on the window...TFS!!!

Cathie Carroll said...

Those wooden cubbies are wonderful, I'm green!
Trendy is for the birds, if you like your Amish artwork, that's what you should look at.

Great tour, thank you!
Warm regards,

Debbie said...

Really loved touring you space, loved the old spools, and your paint crate!!
Thanks for sharing!!
Happy creating!!
debbie
mybrowneyedgirldesigns
xoxo

Sandy said...

Elizabeth,
This is a wonderful room with great ideas!!! I love how you did everything! I really don't know what it looked like before, but I think you have done an incredible job without cabinets. I keep going back and forth about having them, as I forget what is in them and then I don't use it.....I have just a few now...I like my clear plastic bins! Thankks for stopping by my place! Sandy @ 521 Lake Street!

EnchantedBella said...

All that hard work paied off. Your space looks wonderful. I know what mean about getting ready for this party. I spent a week cleaning and rearranging my space and still was rushing to finish by Friday. I just adore your jar lamp. How did you make it? I would love to make one of my jars into a lamp.
Rebecca

Polka Dot Classic said...

Very Lovely space to create! :)
We have the same sewing machine
Kenmore LOL
Have a happy sewing day
Marta

Anne said...

My favourite space of all the ones I've visited. Especially love those wood cubbies. Such a beautiful place to create in.

Kim said...

Do you spend all you time in there? I would. Love it!

Stephanie Suzanne ♥ Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I love your space. You have it all organized and it looks so nice. That would be my luck on the {repainting of the room} but I agree that the white is the way to go. It just makes everything else "pop". I love your Amish art. I don't follow trends either...it's too time consuming and too expensive. Besides I love what I love and it's very eclectic to say the least.

I wanted to thank you for visiting with me. Your kind words are so appreciated. I do want to come back to the party post again because I've added some wildlife photos since you visited {I think!} Geesh, I'm starting to forget where I've been..{tee hee} :0)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow, I love how organized and neat this looks, Elizabeth! Love the nice big table you have for sewing. I've been there with the paint issue, having to repaint a whole room for a similar touch up. Love the light color. I think it really helps expand our creative spaces and shows the colors off so much better.

The Tablescaper said...

Love your space and how organized it is. You're great inspiration.

- The Tablescaper

freckled laundry said...

It looks very pretty, Elizabeth! You are so organized. I love seeing things grouped together. I love the fresh white paint. Your colorful craft things look so nice against it. Love the tattered garland above the window too!

xo,
Jami

thetruevine said...

I am inspired by the way you've stored the paints! I love grouping my "stuff" by color and being able to see it all.

N. Maria said...

Wow, Elizabeth, what a GREAT looking space for such a creative mind! Would you like to come to Washington and work with me on my space? ;o)
By the way, congratulations on winning the Giveaway on The Raspberry Rabbit!!!!!

Prior said...

Elizabeth, your paints looks so pretty and love your valence. Looks like a good place to be! LEzlee

Terry said...

Thank you! You have such fantastic organization ideas! I love everything!

~~EVERYTHING~~.ANASTACIA~~~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~~EVERYTHING~~.ANASTACIA~~~ said...

I don't mind that it's taking me forever to visit everyone at the party. I'm having fun. I'm glad I stopped by your place and got to see where you have fun creating. It's a nice room you got there! You got a lot of stuff and you organize them well. Enjoy. Thanks for sharing.
Reina
(Ooops, sorry. I had to delete my first comment. Too many typos. )

Jo said...

You have been very busy! It's a lovely, bright and welcoming space.

Liz-Anna said...

I especially love your wooden cubbies! You have so much great stuff to gawk over. Thanks for sharing!

Mahmood Ali said...

Its Amazing!!! its shows your hard work i appreciate your hard work...
Plastic Business Cards
print VIP cards

Leanne @ Little Flower Linen said...

I am so jealous at how organized this is!

Rural Revival said...

How do you get anything else done with a delightful craft room like that? I would never want to leave!

. said...

I really enjoyed looking throught your space, so organized and well planned. The old cubby shelfs are my favourite. Great inspiration!!!

Donna said...

Love your cubbies for your supplies, great craft room!!!

Abby's Paperie Garden said...

Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your creative space, I enjoyed my visit. Thank you also for visiting my space, it means to the world to me:)

xo,

Abby

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Great space. Love the huge table. I adore Nancy Noel's artwork too and have a few of her prints.

Cheree said...

Thank you for the tour! Looks like a great place to "play" in. :o) My dad, a farmer, had a HUGE wooden cubby like these that he kept all the nuts, bolts and other small parts in. I made sure it came with the family farm when we bought it but it's still out in his shop, dirty and unused--I just don't know where to go from there! I keep thinking it's going to be a huge project that may not ever work out(will it ever be clean enough for fabric?) AND it's so big it would prob take most of one whole wall in my studio. Yours looks so fun and organized that I just might be inspired to do something with it yet! Maybe I can cut it into smaller ones?

Crystal Adkins said...

I am sooo very jealous of your room. I love all things craft but haven't the room for all the stuff I want. Lucky lucky you! Thanks so much for visiting my humble blog, it meant a whole lot to me.

Melanie W said...

okay! I have seen some craft rooms/studios before-but I never really WANTED one...until NOW! :))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...