Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Authentic Style

I'm joining Amy at Whisper Wood Cottage today for her Authentic Style Link Party.

My authentic style for our home is actually very similar to the fabrics, colours and textures I enjoy in fashion. Simple cotton quilts, white fabrics and linens, leather, painted and natural woods, galvanized and wrought iron metals, browns and tans, blues, white and black, rugged denim and romantic crochet and lace accents. These are the elements of my authentic style and I feel most comfortable surrounded by them. We also enjoy accessories that remind of us of the farms and lakeside cottages that we enjoy here in our beautiful home province of Ontario. I think of words like rustic, farmhouse, lakeside, casual, simple, country, prairie and homemade when I think of our authentic style.

We are working on adding architectural interest to our suburban builder home with white board and batten, trim and bead board. Our home is definitely a work in progress.

I also make do by giving our older furniture pieces and accessories a new look with fabric and paint. By keeping my authentic style in mind, I now feel more comfortable altering the pieces we already have and when it is time to pick up something new, I won't be wasting money on the wrong style. 

I have learned that we don't have to have things in our home just because another style is more popular in the blogs and shelter books I read. It is okay to love the pieces we have and make them fresh with simple changes.

I am learning to keep an eye out for unusual and vintage pieces for storage and display.  But I am saving money by not buying things that don't suit us just because they are a good deal.

I love to make pillows, simple quilts and crocheted afghans to snuggle with and I have learned that these homemade items are an important part of my authentic style.

I like our walls to be neutral backgrounds for stained pine and oak furniture and accessories. I am learning that I can enjoy painting some wood pieces and keeping others stained. I know that I prefer solid wood furniture, reproduction or antique, and that I like a piece with character and a few dings. I like the mix.
Collections are fun and I love searching for deals on items I collect. Editing accessories and moving things around can give us a fresh look easily and affordably.

And simple blooms from the garden or an inexpensive bunch of flowers from the grocery store always make me happy. We like our home to be comfortable for our family and guests and our style is definitely casual and achieved on a tight budget. I don't know if there is a single name for my style, it is more just what we like and how we like to live. I am really enjoying the Authentic Style series at Whisper Wood Cottage and hope you get a chance to stop by too.


I'm also sharing this with LaurieAnna's Farmhouse Friday #3. We don't live in a farmhouse (yet!) but we love everything farm related and a farmhouse feel in our home.



Edited to add: Thanks Amy, for the Authentic Style Award!

Thanks Amy at Whisper Wood Cottage for the feature

30 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Your home is so lovely and it looks so inviting and comfy. I think those are the best qualities a home can have. I stick to my style too, it's important to be around the things you love and make you happy. Great post. Hugs, Marty

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Elizabeth, I love this post and your Authentic Style. I guess it kind of describes my style too so we have a lot in common. Your home looks lovely and I am really liking that board and batten wall a lot! Have a wonderful evening. Hugs, Pamela

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Your style is looking great!! I Love the slip covered ottoman. It really suits the room and so practical too! The ruffles are the finishing touch...
Have a great weekend!!
All the Best,
Christine

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

You've really stuck to your style, Elizabeth. I don't remember your slipcovered sofa and chair... Your home is really coming along, it's hardly a WIP anymore ;).

andrea said...

I really like the mirror above the sink...good illusion to a window for a place that lacked natural light. Andrea @ townandprairie

Deanna said...

Hi there!
Enjoyed seeing your sweet home!
There's no place like home.
God bless,
d

WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Such a great post, Elizabeth! You definitely have an authentic style! I like what you said about not having things just because they are popular and not buying things just because they are a great deal. Both of these things are key factors in having a style that is authentically you!

Amy Kinser said...

I love seeing your style. The room with all of the fabric is beautiful.

Laurel said...

Your home looks lovely...clean and comfy with special details. Great post :) Laurel@chippingwithcharm

Cindy said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I love your Authentic style, it is so cozy and homey looking. It must be a wonderful place for children, too.
Your quilts are lovely, as are your pillows and your board and batten.
Hugs, Cindy

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Great post Elizabeth! I think it's so awesome that as we get older, we care less about what others think and go with the style that truly makes us happy, whether trendy or not! Your home is gorgeous and the love shines through! Have a wonderful weekend! Angie xo

jojo said...

Thanks for sharing your 'style' with us. I am a work in progress here but definitely love the look that you have...simple and stunning.

Comeca Jones said...

What a beautiful space.

Kathy said...

Your home exudes warmth and comfort! Just love your style and all the wonderful accessories that you gathered to make it inviting!
Kathy

Debbie said...

Whatever you call your style, I LIKE it!!!
It's so warm and cozy.
As long as we are comfortable in our surroundings, I don't think we need to label our "style".
I also like your new profile picture.
xxoo

Fairfield House said...

Elizabeth,

I like your decor. It makes your house a home and is a true reflection of the residents. Simple cotton quilts, white fabrics, linens and romantic crochet and lace accents (you). Leather, painted and natural woods, galvanized and wrought iron metals, rugged denim (your sons and husband).

Your Friend,
Deborah

Robyn Story said...

What beautiful pictures of your home!! thanks for sharing on your blog and thanks for adding our Everything Annie Sloan giveaway button to your sidebar. I hope all your friends and followers come on over to check out the paint and the giveaway. It's magical paint and I wish I could share it with everyone!! Thanks again, I'm now your newest follower!

Loretta Fontaine (APPLESandRUBIES) said...

Elizabeth- What a lovely post! I really loved your storage of what I assume are jars of paint. Wow, such beautiful hues! I'm really inspired by that image.

Loretta

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Sweetie...
I love your share today. Your home is so lovely. It is warm and inviting. Love your textures and your colorings that you have. Browns and blues are just beautiful.

I simply feel in love with your Bread tin on your hutch, that is so darn gorgeous. LOVE it.

LOVE those 3 big pillows on your brown leather sofa. Looks just like mine, and I have brown and blue in my living room as well. Thank you so much for opening your home and giving me this wonderful tour this evening.

This is the Miracle Weekend makeover. I am one of the hosting sites. For every comment left, Guideposts magazine will pay a dollar, to the next cancer makeover patient. Please stop by and read the story about 9 year old Charlie, and bless me with a comment. Out goal between the 4 or 5 blogs is 5,000. I know we can do it. I would appreciate it, if you pass the word around to as many friends as possible.

Thank you sweetie for a wonderful post. I love it. Have a glorious weekend. Country hugs from Phoenix, Sherry

anangloinquebec said...

what a beautiful home you have....so creative and warm and inviting.

Mrs M said...

I love your style and your home is just beautiful! Can't wait till I have a few more minutes to come back for another wee look :)

poindextr said...

hi Elizabeth - your home's style is just wonderful. Popping over from Whisperwood Cottage and so glad to meet you and your blog! ~Diane

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Lovely! Just lovely!
xx, shell

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

your home looks beautiful elizabeth : )

cindy the cottage chick said...

Such a great post, and you're one of the bloggers I turn to first to find 'real' style, that looks like those who write their blog. I have a list of about 5 bloggers who I believe embrace their style and have marvelous homes. You're on that list.

I'll be doing a post about this very thing soon, and your blog, m'dear, will make an appearance. :)

erin said...

love your style and find many similarites with my own! i must say that your board and batten walls are fabulous...good job!
erin

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

HI Elizabeth. I'm catching up on my blog reading and have to say I love this post. Your photos are great and you have really captured your style. I love seeing the changes you are making in your home and seeing how it is coming together. We'll have to plan a get together in the fall once things calm down.

Jennifer said...

I love the painted faux grain sack pillow. I really want to try that I'm not sure if you have a tutorial for it or any tips?

awal.ny said...

I like your style too.

Jeri said...

I honestly love everything you've done! Your home is adorable!! Thank you so much for stopping by!
xoxo
Jeri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...