Thursday, February 23, 2012

Feed and Seed Sign

Well, I figured out how to upload my photos from my camera onto our new laptop so I could share photos of the sign I painted on the weeekend.
 Now I need to figure out how to get Picasa working on the laptop so I can edit my photos. Oh, and practice to hit the shift key and not the backslash key :( But I'm getting there. 
(It was a bit overcast when I took these photos so I apologize in advance for the straight out of camera shots.) I'm still working on the gallery wall in our living room and decided we needed a sign. Of course I wanted to have something a bit 'farm' related so I chose 'Feed and Seed.'
 I recycled the first sign I painted a bunch of years ago by painting white and then off-white over the beige with dark green 'CANOE RENTALS'. The board was a rough cut piece and so it has some natural roughness to it that made distressing really easy. Some Minwax stain wiped on and off added age to the distressed hand painted letters.
If you look closely you can see a hint of the old lettering and I really like that. The cost was $0, my favourite kind, because I had everything on hand.
I still need a few frames to complete this gallery, shown in the photo above at Christmas, but I think this sign is another step in the right direction. I will be sharing another addition to this gallery wall later in the week. It involves some rabbit wire (similar to chicken wire.) 
The lettering is not perfectly straight, but do you think it fits the agriculture theme of our living room gallery wall? Actually, we have pretty big hints of our love of agriculture in our home, including our kitchen, above, with the Farmer's Market sign I painted, and the barn photos. Hoping you have a great end to the week. We are expecting a big snowstorm tonight, weirdly enough the biggest one of this almost snowless winter of ours.

You can find me here....
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

23 comments:

  1. I love the new sign, it is perfect for your house! The sign in the kitchen is also a favorite of mine, I love the farm signs. I grew up in a farming community in northern BC.
    Have a great day!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the new sign. pretty!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your rustic and very clever sign. I need to get busy on some of these. Your home is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your sign looks great Elizabeth! I love the vignette you have on your table especially the wire cloche. Enjoy your evening, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not see any remnants of the old letters, but as I stared to find them I got a good look at the great job of distressing.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's fabulous that you have a theme going! Love the new sign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new sign... and that wire cloche on your table :o) Have a great weekend!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable sign! Cute as can be - I would love for you to come by and link it up at my Creative Inspirations linky party happening now! I would love to have you!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new sign is perfect! Great idea. I'm glad you're getting the hang of your new laptop. It's funny how they are different from a PC. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sign is perfect, Elizabeth!
    You did a great job on it, too!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the signs, you did great!! Stay safe in the snow storm, we don't have any falling yet, but by morning I wouldn't be surprised if the schools are canceled. Gotta love Canadian weather :)

    hugs, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your new sign! It fits right in with your decor. Good luck with the snowstorm coming. I think we'll escape getting any snow this year in GA. It has been too warm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your sign !! It looks awesome ... great spot for it, too! And, thanks again for your kind note about my dry bar changes. I was already following, but have now added your "Linky" follow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the sign and I'm your newest linky follower :)
    I started a new link party just for rustic and shabby chic projects. I would love to have you share this - http://rustic-crafts.com/?p=5569

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elizabeth, the new sign is fabulous! It's wonderful some of the old lettering is peeking through. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new sign is adorable! Thans for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sign is amazing! It looks vintage. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. cute sign..i'm your newest linky follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking this to my party! I hope to see you back this week :) - http://rustic-crafts.com/?p=5878

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE getting comments and read each one. They truly make me smile! If you have a question I will email you. Have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...