Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas 2012 -Our Basement Guest Suite

For the last of our Christmas decor posts, I thought I would share a few decorations I added to our basement guest suite.



I painted the shutter Aegean Blue (Martha Stewart at Home Depot $1 sample pot on clearance), one of a pair I got at a garage sale for $5. I hung the shutter high, just below the small basement window, because I am still searching for an affordable headboard.



This is the stairway (horrible lighting-not yellow walls) going down to our basement where 10 years ago my brother-in-law Peter, with the help of my dad, brothers, brothers-in-law, and nephew added a large bedroom with walk-in closet, a bathroom, small kitchen and sitting area, a huge storage room and a closet.


The shutter is the same colour as this $10 dresser I painted. The mirror is the same style frame as the trio of mirrors and plates reflected in it. I added stones to the large mason jar lamp.


I painted this picture frame white and added the gorgeous print I won from Kat at Low Tide High Style


The frames of these vintage paintings were also given a fresh coat of  Benjamin Moore Cloud White. I rehung the blue paisley drapes for privacy on the large escape window until I have time to figure out what I want to use.


My sister and brother-in-law are staying with us and currently using this room so the pillows are not styled and the flannel and ticking quilt is on upside down. I just snapped some quick photos while I had a chance.


The PEACE banner I made that hung in the living room window last Christmas is now on the shutter. I love that the blue glittery letters are a close match to the blue glittery snowflakes on the plates.


I added a few simple leftover glitter snowflakes from the kitchen to the plates in the frames.


This was a very inexpensive way to add interest to the walls. The empty frames were a couple of dollars each (marked down 90% at Michaels several years ago.) The plates were clearance at HomeSense and the architectural piece was a gift from a friend. Two of the larger frames I had made into mirrors for around $25.


 At the other end of this large bedroom is where I will add a twin bed as soon as I find a nice frame. This PB inspired mirror is still one of my favourites.


We had our basement made into a suite for my parents when they lived with us. At the time I wanted a large storage room and now realize this made the TV sitting area too small. The furnishings are not pretty but they are functional. One of my brothers gave us the La-Z-boy recliner sofa and while I would love a small sectional in this area the budget doesn't allow it right now. My husband changed the fluorescent lights in the kitchen area yesterday and accidently used plant grow lights. Super freaky bright! They make the nice tan walls look pinky-purple.


Our basement is super warm and dry, even in these cold winter months, because my bil that helped with a large part of the reno insisted on great insulation and moving heating ducts and bringing all the vents to the floor. 


 The little JOY bears on the basement kitchen counters are from our family trip to Disney in Florida. See how the wrong flourescent bulbs make the walls look pinky -yuck.


Yesterday our 15 year old son hung this peg shelf for me near the couch.


The peg shelf started as this yard sale find (a dollar or two) with a wallpaper border that we peeled off. I painted it black and kept the stained top. Easy peasy.


The cowboy boots are a pair our youngest son outgrew years ago. The trio of mason jars are filled with chess pieces and dice I have collected. I plan to add more game pieces, dominoes etc as I find them.

I still have lots of plans for changes to our basement guest suite but I move slowly as I need to do this with things we already own, items I can alter, or items I can find very inexpensively. I am happy that it is coming along though and it is a comfortable space for our guests.


I stitched this little pillow with the navy felt star a few years ago, and the saying is what I wish you all 
-'And to All a good night." Happy Christmas Eve.

I am sharing this post at the following parties...
Power of Pinterest Party at Debbiedoo's

6 comments:

Crafty Gardener said...

Your guest suite looks very inviting. Seeing your croquet set displays give me an idea for an old one in our basement. :)

Dawn said...

It's all so pretty you will have guests that never want to leave.

Diane said...

Hoping you have a very happy and blessed Christmas my friend. Diane

camp and cottage living said...

Your guest bedroom is so inviting!
We have similar taste in decor.
Have a wonderful Christmas!

JAPAN SAMURAI said...

☆ * :: *: ☆ Merry Christmas ☆: * :: * ☆
Congratulations to a wonderful Christmas.
From Japan.
My name is Ryoma Sakamoto.

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

we have transformed our basement in our master bedroom suite...originally was supposed to be our basement guest suite...but we liked it so mcuh how it turned out that we moved down there. Yes, insulation is a must!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...