Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas 2012 - Our Family Room

Continuing on in the Christmas tour of our home, today I am sharing our family room.


Our family room is our main floor TV room and also is used as a mini office/computer area. While I would love to get new (and additional) seating and furniture, we are making do with items we already own and white slipcovers.


The tray on the ottoman holds a little bucket of fresh flowers and greenery, a battery operated lantern and a mason jar tealight holder. It is a little thing, but I like how this tray has the galvanized handles and star cut outs. Simple and carrying the neutrals and naturals I love from our living room (I haven't shared the tree yet) and front porch.


Our family room tree has lots of country style, hand made and family collectible ornaments. Tons of cows, hockey players, snowmen, rodeo, cross-stitched and Disney ornaments. Probably way too many but it makes our teens happy to see all their favourites! 



The ribbon is black and red buffalo check with strands of red wood bead garland. I gave away a tree skirt I had made so until I find a large galvanized wash tub I am using a black and white check fabric. I should have wrapped some pretty boxes because the base is looking pretty bare -oops.


The blue armoire holds mason jars in the bottom section and office supplies in the top section. 


My galvanized collection that I shared here is displayed on top. The wheat bundle (less than $4 on clearance after Cdn. Thanksgiving) and the numbered galvanized pots (90 cents each on clearance at Michaels) are the only new items I used to decorate for the holidays. Everything else we already had.

Our computer /office area is a bit scary but I plan to move the huge filing cabinet to the basement and I'm searching for a narrow farm table for a desk. Another project for the New Year.


I sewed this little quilted throw from a panel with four Christmas cow scenes and checker board squares, many years ago.


Last week I decided to sew a quick seasonal pillow. I had lots of cotton scraps and made them into trees to sew onto a drop cloth pillow cover with an envelope back. This idea is not my own and I am not sure of the original source either. An image of a similar pillow (from either a blog, Pinterest or a Christmas Ideas magazine) popped into my head while I was working in my studio.


This is our taking-way-too-looooooooong-to-finish board and batten project on the family room side of this wall. The guy at the big box hardware ripped two pieces wrong and I didn't notice until we got home. Ahem, several months ago. I need to go back and have some new boards recut so we can carry on. Then I need to figure out a mantel. And fill holes. And paint..... But it does look better than it did.


This little hand painted metal bucket is too small in this spot, but I decided to hang it here rather than take out the screw and anchor. Keeping it real -our home is a work in progress. It may not be fancy but our family enjoys hanging out here. Thanks so much for stopping by!

You can see our Christmas 2012 Family Room here, Living Room here, Kitchen here, Some Vignettes hereour Window in the Stairway here, and our Front Porch here

Sharing this with....
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
SNS #165 at Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different Act Normal
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
At The Picket Fence's Inspiration Friday

9 comments:

Cathy said...

What a great tree.... love the decorations, the Timmy cup and the Leaf's player. Again this year we are no having a tree....sure miss it as it just is no Christmas without one.

Kate said...

Hi Elizabeth
I love your beautiful holiday home filledw with the perfect touches. Thank you for sharing with us the inspiration is wonderful.

Happy holidays
Kate
xoxo

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...

Your Canadian country style always just makes me so happy! I always say I'm going to copy your tree exactly the next year, but then I realize just how much it takes to collect all that. I did actually pick up a few moose items at the end of last year, totally inspired by you!

Pamela Gordon said...

Love your Christmas tree with all the family memories on it! The pillows and cow throw are really sweet. It looks very cozy and comfy.

Kelly said...

I think your family room looks charming! I love the white slipcovers and the slipcovered ottoman. Your tree is so cute with all the country ornaments. That fits your home perfectly.

Shelia said...

Oh, your family room looks so beautiful. Love your tree and all of the decorations. I could pend some comfy Christmas time in there.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

Such a cozy room. I love all the family pictures, and the white covers and the beautiful ottoman. My favorite piece is the small quilt, it is so pretty!

Beth @ E. lizard Breath Speaks said...

gorgeous!! love your computer area. ( :

Cindy said...

Your home is very warm and welcoming and all the effort and love that you and your husband have put into it shows. It's already very attractive and I can see that it will be even more so once you finish these projects.
I love your decor, all of it!
Hugs, Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...