Friday, January 4, 2013

First Paint Project of 2013 ~ Mercury Glass Buffet and Hutch

On New Years Day, while my guys took off on a day trip to the farm, I pulled out my paint supplies and got started on the buffet and hutch in our kitchen.


This is the pine buffet and hutch I started with. It replaced a larger oak cabinet that was too deep for this eat-in area of our kitchen. You can find that post here. At the time I asked if a distressed white would make the ironstone disappear and I loved reading the answers. Painting the tongue and groove backing a contrasting colour was a popular answer and at first I was going to do that. Pale grey or an aqua blue. 

But after giving it some thought over the holidays I decided to go with all white, for now. The armoire between the kitchen and family room is a different blue (that I am so tempted to change), the barstools are aqua, the farmhouse table and chairs are black and I didn't want to introduce another colour. I have another smaller cabinet that is Cloud White with an aqua back so I know how that looks and I wanted to see how this piece would look all white. 


I am loving it. The white ties in so nicely with our white kitchen cabinets and the many whites and neutrals in our home. I 'borrowed' the black knobs from our laundry room cabinets because it is too cold to spray the ones that came with it and I didn't get to the hardware store.


The paint is Mercury Glass white by Ben Moore Origins Collection at Canadian Tire. I added some plaster of paris to the paint for a homemade chalky-like feel. By adding the plaster to hot water first, there are no lumps and sanding is not required. I took the doors off and numbered them, but I should have numbered the hinges because I can see that two are mixed up and need switched.


Whenever I first paint something I am always hesitant to start distressing it but this piece is pretty rustic and really needed it so I just took a deep breath and started. Heavier at the shelf edges and around the doors and knobs. I like how it turned out.


In my last post I shared a few new vintage finds including the $4 lidded ironstone dish on the top shelf. All of my ironstone is thrift store finds and I have more in our dining room china cabinet.


I have more platters but they are great to use in other places throughout our home. The most expensive platter was $6. I added some texture and natural elements with large pinecones and my collection of vintage wooden spools.


My collections of  milk bottles and vintage clear Crown mason jars fill in some of the gaps, and hold tealights that we go through more quickly at this darker time of year.


Way more photos than I need but I love the combination of whites and rustic.



A sweet little local milk bottle with Brampton Jerseys on it, and one of a pair of lidded serving dishes.


 A trio of cream bottles from a blogging friend in Texas.


And finally am English ironstone pudding bowl from a yard sale for a quarter. I broke its smaller twin last week putting decorations away.

It is cold and snowy here so I painted this in the kitchen. The clutter and resulting few days of mess is always annoying but so worth it when it's all done. Now that this piece is finished (for now at least) I can make a new mess while I work on some closet and hobby room organizing projects.

I'm sharing this with...
Be Inspired Friday at Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
January Before and After at Thrifty Decor Chick
SNS at Funky Junk Interiors
Creative Cain Cabin's new Budget Decorating Party
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Salvaged DIY Whites at Funky Junk Interiors

50 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Elizabeth, I love your hutch painted white. I've never heard of that BM colour but it sounds lovely. I love your new covered dish and rolling pin. Great bargains! Wish I could find good bargains here. They want too much money I think and I never find anything good at the thrift stores. I like how you distressed the cupboard and left the black hinges and knobs. Beautiful! And your white still shows up too. :)

Deb Hrabik said...

It looks great! Especially the way you have it displayed. I really like the tea lights in the jar with the tag.
Deb@LakeGirlPaints

Crafty Gardener said...

The hutch is looking wonderful and the china displayed on it fits right in. Great job.

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

Love the hutch painted white. You have a lovely collection of ironstone too!

White Weathered Hutch, said...

Your hutch looks amazing Elizabeth!
Thanks for the heads up on the plaster of paris to add with paint.
Love all the accents. Great job!!

~ rooms FOR rent ~ said...

Gorgeous!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE how it came out!! your Ironstone looks great, and you can totally see it. I'm not sure if anyone said this, and I think it looks great just the way it is, but if you ever get bored with it, you could try a recipe or french script type on the beadboard (might be tricky) but keeping with a white background, and just adding some black writing, just a thought :) It looks so good though! ~Bre

Goodbye House Hello Home said...

Oh! I love it!
I have a beast of a credenza in my living room that I want to paint.
I'm thinking an opal-ish pale robin's egg blue in metallic. I'm going to sand my piece, too..
I love your collections!
SO cozy, as always!
Love, me

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh Elizabeth, your hutch is just beautiful and it is styled to perfection! What a way to start the year!

Dawn said...

I love it just how it is. The ironstone looks great against the white. Great choice!

Old Time Cindy said...

I love your decor! I'm a white and rustic type of farm gal.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Elizabeth you hutch looks fabulous!! Love it white and distressed!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

So pretty, love that paint color! Love how you distressed it and how you decorated it with your finds!

{northern cottage} said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it - can you tell how much I'm smitten!! seriously gorgeous! awesome!

Barbwire Pretty said...

Elizabeth , I'm not sure weather I'm reading your mail or your reading mine.I love your hutch with all the great white dishes and good old stuff. You and I have so many treasures that are alike that one would think we had planned it. When I get up from this computer I'm going to post a picture of my hutch so you can see if you like.
Blessings from Canada
Bernice

Kelly said...

I really love your white hutch! I'm a huge fan of painted white furniture (as you know) and love it distressed too. I think you made a great decision to paint it white. Love how you accessorized it too.

camp and cottage living said...

Elizabeth
It turned out great! And you really have a knack for displaying your simple items. Makes me wanna find one of those old cabinets.

Karen Mary Butterfly said...

Elizabeth, you did it! I remember when you first posted about your hutch. It looks FANTASTIC! Love it! It's perfect and I think the white looks great against the Mercury white paint you picked!! It's gorgeous!! Bravo!
Karen

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Oh wow...it looks amazing!!! I love it! It looks great all white and your white dishes look wonderful inside!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

I love this Liz! I want an ironstone tureen so bad. Cant believe you got that for $4!!! It all looks so pretty against your wall color.

Linsey

joanne said...

Beautiful! I love the whites and neutrals, it makes it so easy to accessorize. I would have never known that was the same hutch...;j

elizabeth said...

I love it! Looks perfectly fabulous!

Marina Pérez said...

Elizabeth, every detail is perfect, I love white colour and nowadays you can mix white pieces of furniture with brown ones so the result is beautiful

Marina
http://marinainblue.blogspot.com.es/

Keeping It Cozy said...

Looks beautiful! I love how you've styled it too. Just perfect.

Shabby Sweet Tea said...

This turned out lovely! I especially like how you have accessorized the shelves. Jealous you have already been painting during the new year:)
~Shabby Sweet Tea

Dewdrop Gardens said...

It's beautiful! I love the bead board back and think the white on white is so crisp & clean looking.
Love all your collections you have displayed on it too!
Debbie :)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

How pretty your new painted cabinet looks! White paint makes such a dramatic difference. Your collections look wonderful on it. What a great waqy to start the year! Happy New Year!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

I really love how this turned out! It looks so great in white and I love the distressed look you gave it. Awesome job!

Visiting from the Old Time Party :)

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love how it turned out! And I love how you decorated it too! It turned out awesome!!
~Cindy

okcamp said...

Elizabeth,
The white hutch is lovely. I also have a collection of old wooden spools and bobbins. Love!!!!
Diane

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Wow, your new/old painted hutch looks fantastic. You must be so pleased with it! Love the distressing that you did as well. The white on white is so fresh and going to be so much fun to style for every holiday!!
All the Best,
Christine

Cindy said...

That looks fabulous! I love it, and yes, the ironstone really pops against the white! Perfection!
Hugs, cindy

Old Time Cindy said...

Thanks for boot scootin' on over to join in at the Old Time Party!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Holly Browning said...

I love it all white and the way you distressed the doors looks awesome.

Diane said...

Looks perfect! I am loving the white hutch with the stained table and black chairs.....I love two tone rooms.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Elizabeth, your newly painted hutch is just stunning! It is the perfect place to put all those white dishes and great accents!!! What a difference a little paint can make!!! I hope 2013 holds lots of painting projects from you!

Jenni said...

Hi Elizabeth~

I LOVE how you painted your hutch, it turned out so beautiful! And I love how you decorated it as well~ absolutely lovely!

Blessings,
Jenni

Anne said...

Beautiful job! and I love all the pieces you used to stage it.

Just gorgeous!!!

Lynne Cherot said...

You did a great job. Thanks for tip regarding adding plaster to hot water first, much appreciated.

Deborah Jean at Dandelion House said...

Your hutch turned out just lovely! Farm fresh for sure! I discovered your blog through the Old Tine Farmhouse hop! I'm following you! Would love for your to stop by Dandelion House and share your talents with our Farmgirl Friday Community! You'll love it!
Happy FARM New Year!
Deb

must love junk said...

Wow, your cabinet turned out gorgeous!!
All your collections look perfect in it :)
Susan

The Farmers Daughter said...

White paint was exactly what that hutch needed! And, the distressing is perfect. You did a wonderful job! Love the white ironstone pieces, too.
Farmhouse Blessings,
Dru

Debbie said...

I LOVE your hutch painted white, Elizabeth!!! You did a great job distressing it, too!
You are very talented when it comes to arranging your treasures on the cupboards in your home, as well.
Wonderful post.
xxoo

Sherry said...

This looks really great! Love how you styled it!
Sherry

homespun living said...

Just gorgeous!! You've done a beautiful job on the hutch, and I just love all the ironstone...Deb

Carol said...

It turned out beautifully and shows off your lovely treasures so well.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love how fresh and bright this piece looks now, Elizabeth!! Your treasures look so pretty on display in there!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Your photography is lovely and enjoyed your creative use of canning jars. I think I'll do the same with my tea lights...in sight, easy to use.

Privet and Holly said...

Elizabeth, I LOVE
how this turned
out, and even more,
I love how brave
you were to just
go for it! Bravo : )

Happy Tuesday,
xo Suzanne

Maureen said...

The white shows up just fine on that lovely cabinet and the wood pieces are the perfect hit of rustic colour!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It turned out great, Elizabeth! I love it white!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...