Saturday, February 16, 2013

Chippy Old Windows

I love seeing old windows with all their character used in decorating. There are so many fun and creative ways to use them. Donna at Funky Junk Interiors is having a special old window themed link up and I'm joining in.



My first window was a $10 yard sale find paned mirror in 80's pine that I painted and distressed for our basement guest bedroom. You can see rhe Pottery Barn-inspired Pine Window Mirror Makeover here.


This past Fall I also found two chippy windows for $5 each from one of my favourite pickers. I was buying a piece of furniture and he gave me a good deal on them. This past summer at an outdoor antiques sale there was a pile of old windows for $20 and up in this size so I knew I was getting a good deal. At Christmas I used the single pane window in a mercury glass, naturals and whites Christmas display on the dresser in our living room.



In January the single paned chippy window was propped in the same spot with a simplified winter decor with whites and mercury glass.


I used the second $5 window frame, and eight paned one, on our porch for a Christmas vignette. In January I removed all the 'Christmas' elements and now use it as a winter vignette.


You can bet I will pick up more if I find them at affordable prices because there are so many great uses for old windows. I'm heading over to Donna's party now to take note of other ideas. Do you use old windows in your decor?

16 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love the old window frames and love the beautiful displays you created with them!!

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Great deals on those window panes! I have a couple leftover from our renovation here at the house that we are currently using as message boards. Just with a dry eraser marker...the same kind you use for white boards and they just wipe off. They are kind of fun to use that way!
All the Best,
Christine

Patty Sumner said...

I love decorating with old windows..I have several around the house...love old stained glass too. Yours are just wonderful. Blessings!

Pamela Gordon said...

I love the way you have used the old windows in your decor, Elizabeth. I have one that I hang on the back of the garage in the summer and grow flowers in front of it. Hopefully the hollyhocks will grow tall enough this year to make a pretty picture. I need to be looking for a smaller one though that I could use inside. Blessings, Pam

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Elizabeth,
I love how you have decorated with all the wonderful old windows. These are a favorite of mine too.
Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment.
Have a nice evening.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Kate said...

Hi Elizabeth
what a wonderful job you have done with all of these old windows. Getting us gals inspired

Have a lovely weekend
Kate
xo

Dee said...

They are fabulous Elizabeth - I love the one with mirror glass in it & your collection of mercury glass. You do such a great display job ....

Dee at the Carlton

Jemma said...

Love, love, love!! My daughter and I have shopped for these wonderful windows and your ideas are delightful-so going to incorporate them into our decorating-Thanks for this great inspiration!!

-Jemma

Kelly said...

I love all of your old windows that you've used to decorate with. They are such a unique piece of art in the home. I love that salvaged look anyway!

zafar said...

World Wide Online jobs from home, part time online jobs, data entry jobs and copy pasting jobs
www.jobzcorner.com

Holly Browning said...

I love old windows too. It's like versatile art that can go anywhere. Yours look great!

Holly Browning said...

I love old windows too. It's like versatile art that can go anywhere. Yours look great!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You've gotten some great deals on your old windows! I love adding mirrors to the windows, or spraying them with mirror spray paint. We've got some dark rooms in our house and the mirrors reflect the light we do have. I also buy small windows to use as frames for my stained glass projects. So much cheaper than custom framing!

Leah said...

I found your blog via Life in a Little Red Farmhouse.. I will be visiting often love the DIY ideas... your window ideas are great ~ I have a couple sitting here waiting for completion.

Cindy said...

I love old windows too, and yours all look fabulous.

A Primitive Place ~ Tammy said...

Love the old window
I was just thinking yesterday that is what I need for above my cupboard in the breakfast nook.
Going to have to keep an eye out for one.
Tam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...