Friday, February 22, 2013

Crochet Project and Thrifty Finds

On the way home from work yesterday I stopped at a thrift store in a neighbouring town and found some new pieces for my collections. I thought I would share them today with a crochet project I am working on. 



These granny squares will be made into an afghan. So far there are about 40 squares completed -still a long way to go.


When I bought the yarn, Impeccable by Loops & Threads, I had thought about using a rainbow of colours for the centers but kept coming back to these shades of Aqua, Grass and Clear Blue. For now I am going to stitch a bunch of them and try a layout then I will decide if I need to add more colours. I love the sea glass colour palette feel of these three colours.


After Christmas I broke one of my vintage pudding molds/bowls while cleaning so you might guess I was excited when I saw this larger one on the shelf for $1.99. Shoes don't excite me, but old ironstone, oh yeah!


I also picked up this Mary figurine, either to sell or for my collection here


Milk glass is another favourite collectible that I use in our ensuite bathroom for pretty and practical storage. This footed piece was $2.99. 

We are getting more snow and maybe some freezing rain. I'm off now to our youngest son's evening hockey game, in the coldest arena in town, so I will have to save my stitching for when I get home and my fingers warm up! Wishing you a great weekend.

I am linking up to the following parties...

16 comments:

Old Time Cindy said...

Love the colors you have chosen for your afghan. I bet you won't need any other colors.
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Dawn said...

Love your granny squares, I make them all the time. They are such fun!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

love the colors in your crochet project! and i just got a milk glass piece like that, too! i love milk glass- timeless!

Crafty Gardener said...

Some wonderful finds today. You have some lovely colours for the afghan. It's going to be soft and cozy.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Wow, such pretty squares and they will be gorgeous for your throw.

You asked about the sink and how to remove scratches. Here is the link to a previous post showing how.
http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2012/08/easy-fast-cleaning-tips-and-tricks.html

Debbie said...

The sea glass colors in your granny squares are beautiful, Elizabeth!! It will match the colors in your lovely farmhouse.
Love the colors in the Madonna you found also...very pretty!
Stay warm.
xo

Jemma said...

Crocheting...love it!! Your granny squares are just beautiful and I agree the sea glass colors are perfectly lovely!!

Cindy said...

Your afghan is going to be very nice, I love those great colours that you're using. I also like your new finds, very nice!

Sandy said...

Your colors for the afghan are just
perfect... it's not often you see
one in white with such beautiful
colors...
Great finds
Sandy

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Lovely colour combination for your granny squares. The little footed milk dish is just beautiful!
All the Best,
Christine

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Elizabeth,
You can never go wrong with great deals on ironstone and milk glass. I'm sorry that you are having trouble linking up...your link is working so I don't know what the deal is (I'm so sorry)...please try again.

Blessings,
Linda

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

I got it working, Linda. Once I changed out the dot ca to dot com it worked just fine!

Pam said...

Those are great colors to work with. I made a bunch of squares years ago and then never connected them. Great thrifting finds!

The Joyful Thrifter said...

Your Afghan is going to be beautiful!!! Great job!

Smiles,
The Joyful Thrifter

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love granny square afghans! I've always wanted one and keep hoping to find a nice one at the thrift store!

Lisa said...

I do alot of crochet but have been wanting to learn to do the simple "granny Square" and make me a throw. I love the look of your squares. Where can I fine this pattern? Love it! Im also a new follower. Come visit me sometime. www.lifeawayfromtheofficechair.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...