Monday, February 25, 2013

Ironstone in Our Dining Room

It is not a very sunny day today but that didn't stop me from assembling a little vignette on our dining room table after work this afternoon.


I find that at this time of year if I wait for a sunny day to take photos (when I'm not at work) the opportunity seldom comes along. I still need tons of practice in manual but I find that using a tripod really helps. What doesn't help is my sucky vision as I get older. I get yearly vision care and new glasses too. Sigh lol.


This afternoon I grabbed a stack of thrifted ironstone platters, two pudding bowls and vintage linens to create this vignette on our pine dining room table. The black Mennonite hutch is also filled with lots of white dishes, as is the white and aqua pie cupboard barely seen to the right of the window. The table runner I used is a white cotton moire (leftover fabric from my wedding dress) with a deep ruffled edge that I sewed a few years ago.


Last week I mentioned craving some colour so I added a few spring like blues to the vignette with a turquoise book, faux speckled eggs and stone chips in a mason jar.


 The ceramic egg holder was a Real Canadian Superstore purchase for $2 last year.


The stack of ironstone platters have been collected piece by piece at thrift stores for a few dollars each. I have others that are being used in different spots in our home.


Vintage cutwork napkins are in the smaller pudding bowl. 


The large pudding bowl I picked up last week is filled with vintage crochet table runners. The old Crown canning jar is filled with blue stone chips, picked up on clearance for $1.25. Everything on the table was bought inexpensively, either thrifted or on clearance. 


Last week I also mentioned picking up a pine breadbox for $3. It was a plain pine sealed piece and looked like it had never been used. I painted it robin's egg blue and now have to decide whether to distress it or not before I wax it. The table I plan to use it on needs painting too, so I am showing it here for now.

We are expecting another snow storm tomorrow, this one tracking into Ontario from Texas. So although we are not quite done with winter and I'm not ready for full on Easter decorating, I am enjoying adding more blues to our home. Is your home taking on a lighter or spring-like look?

Linking up to these great parties....

20 comments:

  1. Hope you're all keeping warm! We've had just a dusting of snow back in mid-December... our typical winter weather!

    LOVE the ironstone, lace/doilies and the hint of aqua/robin's egg blue... I like the addition of the book so I'm going to be looking for some in just the "right" color!

    ~Chris

    PS I know what you mean about waiting for a sunny day for pics too... I'd be waiting most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    What a serene tablescape, dear one!
    I adore the soft hues against the blue runner! ...and I agree, it does take more time to aquire accessories on a budget! One does go through the more effective thought process aquiring only those items that touch the heart!!!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Fondly,
    Pat
    P.S. Visiting from Marty's TTT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vignette is so warm and inviting, I just want to sit right down! I love the pudding bowls. There is something about them that makes me feel like cooking!
    You captured a story in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the robins egg blue breadbox! Your ironstone collection is great...you can never have too many pieces of ironstone. Great post!
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the addition of the soft aquas and browns in the eggs and the book. You have quite a collection of ironstone now. I bet you put them to good use when you entertain your family.

    Thanks for stopping by to see my mantel. I've been feeling the need for more colour too, but I just went a little deeper than you did ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been adding a few lighter things to my decor as I, like you, am not ready for Easter decor yet. I'll wait until March at least to get out the bunnies. ;) I like the bread box and think a little distressing might be nice around the knob or on the edges. I love pudding bowls and have a set of 3 white ones plus pink and aqua, my favourites. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. So charming, so serene, so inviting. A lovely collection
    ~jemma

    ReplyDelete
  8. More storms? Yikes, it's time for spring to make an appearance! It's still winter here, too.
    Your white ironstone is very pretty and you've styled your table beautifully. I love your chairs, they are very unique.
    Your newly painted bread box is wonderful, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you're craving Spring. I like the new vignette you set on your table. It has an Easter feel to it with the colored eggs on it. Love the stack of ironstone plates too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty centerpiece. I love the subtle colors and peaceful feeling. Beautiful!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! What a perfectly charming set table! I love the simplicity of it. I am your newest GFC follower. I am already following you on FB. Just wanted to thank you for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment on my Springtime Side Table Vignette. I appreciate your kind words. I hope you'll visit again soon! Have a great week.
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  12. When the storm hits tomorrow, I may have to come back and gaze at your lovely dining room to cheer myself up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the blue stone chips ... so cool. love that pop of color. have a great week. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so love your vignette. All the whites with the pop of color in the eggs is just perfect. I am having trouble taking good shots these days too. The sun doesn't shine in my neck of the woods in wintertime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Elizabeth,
    Very pretty love the different textures on all of the pieces. The overflowing crochet runners in the pudding bowl are so sweet. Love the white and blue colours & those eggs look real in their 1/2 dozen crate.
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful ironstone and such a pretty pale blue color. Lovely tablescape. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your vignette! It looks so pretty.Your ironstone is fabulous.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the soft color. It's all beautiful! I can never take photos the right time of day either! Oh well. Yours look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dining room is wonderful.
    Loving all your white ironstone.
    Hugs
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute, cute display. I love the eggs in the carton. I just found your blog through "The Essence of Home."
    I can't wait to poke around.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE getting comments and read each one. They truly make me smile! If you have a question I will email you. Have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...