Saturday, March 2, 2013

Decorating with Plates

I love collecting both new and vintage plates and platters and using them for practical and display purposes in our home.



My current obsession is collecting ironstone platters. I love them in a pile or used under a basket of flowers or to corral items on a bathroom counter.



Plates add a nice back drop to displays in hutches or china cabinets.


I love plates and platters in all shapes and sizes.


I like to switch out plates in seasonal vignettes.


A stack of plates is a great prop.


In our basement guest bedroom I used three different white plates with patterned edges inside a trio of frames for wall decor.


They are on the wall at the end of the guest bed.

Besides lots and lots of white plates, we also have a few seasonal plates that I use in different vignettes. Square Halloween plates....


 Solid colours and some pretty patterns too.


I guess collecting them is a bit of an obsession.

 


In our dining room in the pine china cabinet are the plates I bought new. The tall stack of white plates are caterers plates that we use instead of paper for parties. On either side of our dining room window I hung a pair of vintage brown transferware plates.


We also have 16 place settings of plain white dinnerware from Real Canadian Superstore in the china cabinet. Pretty enough to use for nicer dinners, but cheap enough that I won't worry if they break.


My blue and white transferware is currently in the basement kitchen cupboards. I'm looking for a plate rack to display some of the pieces and I might even remove a cupboard door or two to display some more.


I love collecting little plates too. This butter pat and smaller plate hold my late mom's rosary in our living room. 


Single plates and dishes work great as soap dishes in bathrooms. The one on the right is currently on the edge of our soaker tub in our master ensuite. 



Plates also help corral containers and bottles. This vintage ironstone oval plate holds the hand soap and lotion in our main kitchen.

 

I also use mismatched plates or platters as saucers under plants. So, are you a plate junky like me? Thanks for visiting and if you are looking for some other plate inspiration, check out Donna at Funky Junk Interiors decorating with plates themed link up.


23 comments:

  1. Hi loving your blog a girl after my own heart,I believe you can never have too many plates. I too don't use paper plates or napkins as I have my plain white party plates, I'm of to read more of your blog, and become a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the way you have used your lovely plate collection. I think the plates in the frames is such a cute clever idea. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly have a lovely collection of plates of all shapes, sizes and colours. I really like the way you framed the plates in your guestroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your platters look gorgeous-I especially like them framed! I love using them to decorate, too :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you've displayed the plates! I have so many dishes that I am trying to determine how I can decorate with some of them. Thanks for the great ideas! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you have decorated with all of your plates. So pretty. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love white ironstone as well. I think I would have stacks upon stacks if I could. You are right, they are so versatile in decorating and just plain using.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely plate collection. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very impressive plate collection :-)I am a plate ( dishes) junkie as well.. and I am schooling the next generation as well. Already have my future DIL started on her dished and plate collection. Hahahahaaa.. we spent a wonderful day out shopping.
    Cheers, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have found some great ways to use and display plates in your home Elizabeth. I love the ones inside the frames on the wall. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a lovely collection!
    I enjoyed your post a lot, very nice photos!
    Besos from Argentina, Silvina (another obsessed, I mean, collector...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you did well incorporating the plates into your decor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love plates! I love how you hung the three in the frames. So pretty! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like white dishes - I'd love to have a large ironstone collection someday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another plate hoarder like me, eh? LOL Love your displays!
    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all the interesting things on your two white shelves. My other favorite is your beautiful black hutch and how you have place everything. Such a nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a great collection and really know how to display them. I'm slowly working on mine.
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have lots of really fabulous plates, I love them, but don't have nearly as many nice ones as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Elizabeth, thank you for dropping by North of Wiarton. I am looking forward to following you as well. PS My favourite colour is Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post is full of inspiration for those of us who adore plates...thank you so much for all the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm not a plate junky...although I should be. Just the other night I was all in a tizzy because I didn't have enough plates for dinner (there was a load in the dishwasher). I'm a silver junky, so if we ate off silver trays, I'd be set. ;) I love your plate collection and the way you give them purpose on display, as soap dishes, under plants, etc. Very charming.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have a wonderful plate collection, using them in such creative ways around your home. I also love hanging, stacking, and propping plates.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  23. total plate junky here - I keep buying odds too at yard sales. what the heck am I going to do with them all???

    but then I'm a linens and towels junky as well.

    and clothes.

    and shoes.

    sheesh.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE getting comments and read each one. They truly make me smile! If you have a question I will email you. Have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...