Saturday, March 8, 2014

Quilted Denim Dog Bowl Mat

While out shopping recently for a mat to place under our dog's food and water bowls in our kitchen it dawned on me that I could easily sew a washable version.



We had been using a folded bar towel and just threw them in the wash with dog towels when they needed freshening. 


This morning I dug through my huge basket of collected denim fabric and cut 2 1/2" strips out of an assortment of pieces. After sewing the strips together I sandwiched a piece of Warm and Natural quilt batting between the top and a large square of denim for the backing. Remington is a chocolate Lab so the mat measures 12" x 21" to accomodate her larger bowls. 



To save time I finished it with binding from double fold bias tape. Then I added some simple quilting to the piece. The whole project took less than an hour from start to finish and the best part is that I had all the supplies in my stash.  



I adore new and weathered denim and save our outgrown and worn jeans for sewing projects like my denim and linen Christmas stockingsdenim and white pillows and a denim quilt


I will make a few more, probably with some pretty fabric binding this time, because we do like to machine wash them.


February was a busy month for us and with the cold weather and continued snow I have not felt like taking photos. I did accomplish some smaller organizing projects however. Hoping March brings more snow melting and motivation. I am so looking forward to March Break and a week off from work this week.

I'm sharing this with....

12 comments:

  1. What a cute project. I love those little things that are so useful. The denim is a real workhorse, too.

    Looks like you have had more than your share of snow- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to use up odd bits of denim to make a sturdy mat for the dog bowls. It's getting very tiring looking out and just seeing white drifts of frozen snow, and it is getting very dirtily looking in places too ... not good for taking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks cute! What a great solution :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an adorable pet mat! I like the denim used on the back. My pet bowls fit in an iron stand which keeps them off the floor. I can't get over ALL that snow in your front yard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great project and it should wear well as denim is so sturdy. I hope you have a good March break and enjoy yourself. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the denim placemat for your dog! We had a neighbor who made puffy quilts from recycled jeans. She crocheted with red around a stuffed square and then attached all the squares together. The squares with zippers and pockets added so much character!

    I hope you have warm weather and sunshine during your week off! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that it's out of jeans, I am still working on my 101 ways to reuse jeans! Great upcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I like this idea! I'd like it in a throw size. I need to get rid of some of my jeans...

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! With two doxies of my own I could use that :) I don't know how you deal with all of that snow- beautiful, but I would just want to stay inside and drink hot chocolate all day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute mat for the dog. I just use and old placemat, but I guess Lulu deserves something home made.

    I can't believe the snow photo you showed. I don't know how all of you survive in that much snow. I only like that much snow when I am skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute mat for the dog. I just use and old placemat, but I guess Lulu deserves something home made.

    I can't believe the snow photo you showed. I don't know how all of you survive in that much snow. I only like that much snow when I am skiing.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE getting comments and read each one. They truly make me smile! If you have a question I will email you. Have a great day and thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...